Saturday 27 December 2008

On the second day of Christmas, my true love sent to me... two oranges stuck with cloves!

Last night I tried out one of the recipes from What is Myrrh Anyway? on a group of family and friends who were round for Christmas Eve dinner. And even if I do say so myself it was very well received, and tasted pretty good too.

So, if you fancy a taste of Bishop's Wine, here's the recipe from the book, along with a few visual aids. (NB - I made double the quantity, which is why there's double the ingredients in all the photographs.)

Bishop’s Wine

1 bottle of red wine
1 orange stuck with cloves
1 cinnamon stick
The peel of 1 lemon
Sugar to taste

Place the clove stuck orange in a large pan; add the red wine and leave to steep for half a day. During this time the wine will take on the flavours of the orange and cloves.







Then you need to add the other ingredients together and simply warm the whole lot through half an hour before serving.







Last of all, enjoy in the company of friends and family.

No comments: